I've got a BS in Telecommunications from DeVry.  I don't know if I would
recommend that to anyone though.  The classes were pretty basic and cost
about 3 times what they should.

I think my next step it to work towards an Electrical Engineering degree.
GA Tech has a masters in Electrical Engineer concentrating on
communications.  That sounds about right.  You may be able to find something
similar up there if you are interested in getting down to layer 1 bits,
bytes, and electrical signals.