The CCIE is right :) ... In fact there is no specification of multicast addresses in Token Ring and they ARE implemented with what they call Functional Addresses.

Regards
Atif
-----Original Message-----
From: Mohammed Hakim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sunday, July 30, 2000 3:39 AM
Subject: TR supports multicast !!

Hello group,

About my last question: Does the Token Ring (IEEE 802.5) support Multicasts (sending packets to a group of devices) ..
I have two answre saying yes, i have asked an CCIE .. he told me:

TR does not do multicast, IBM or IEEE. .... It does use functional addresses kinda like multicast, butthere's a very
limited set of these. IOS doc from Cisco on HSRP on Token Ring has some related material.

Now i have 2 answers .. any one can help ..
Thanks

Mohammed Hakim - CCNA