Karen,

Did some searching and found this...

It looks like the rules are simple for switched ports to desktops:-

1) Enable portfast
2) Disable trunking (DTP)
3) Disable port-channelling (PAgP)

You might want to check out PortFast BPDU Guard - it looks like a new
feature that puts a non-trunking PortFast port into "errdisable" instead of
just STP blocking state when it receives BPDUs (which should never be
received unless someone created a loop between 2 switches).  Note seems to
be only available on the high-end switches (5xxx/6xxx).

Regards,
Adrian