Hello,

FXS is "Foreign eXchange Station" which is the interface
that generates the ringing voltage and hence, accepts
connection of telephone sets.
FXO, OTOH, is "Foreign eXchange Office" and it is the interface
which responds to ringing voltages,
and you can connect extension lines of your PBX to this interface.

If you have a PBX, for instance, local extension interfaces are FXS, so that
you can connect your telephone handsets to those interfaces. These
interfaces can generate ringing voltages when the extension is dialed.

Trunk interfaces of the PBX, which are connected to Telco as external lines
behave as FXO interfaces and responds to ring voltages generated by the
other end of the link.

Normally, you connect FXO interface to an FXS interface and vice versa.
(Not on the same device, except for experimental purposes :-)

If you have a router, you connect your telephone sets to FXS
ports of the router, and your PBX extension lines to FXO ports.
Connecting a router to a PBX via FXO port of the router and
FXS -an extension line- of the PBX is similar to connecting
to PBXs together. Also, you can connect the FXS port of the router
to a FXO -a trunk line- of the PBX, which is "the other way around" connection.

Hope this clears a bit.

Regards,
Ufuk.

Hello,

I'm kind of confused between the difference of these 2
things. Can someone clarify this for me?
Thanks in advance.

Jim