It kind of depends on various factors like:

        - Are you a manager or not?
        - Are working one job or many as a consultant?
        - What are you responsible for?
        - Are you getting paid well?
        - Are you getting paid for overtime?
        - etc...

I moved to Texas four years ago, but before that I worked as a
Programmer/Network Administrator in Denmark where I was born. I started out
working about 70+ hours a week, but since my salary was not anything to
smile about in the first place, and since I was not paid anything for
overtime (normal work week in Denmark is 37.5 hours), and since they did
nothing to appreciate all the extra work I did, I decided to just give a
heck about it and go home everyday at normal time, unless there was an
emergency.

The first job I got here in Houston wasn't too good either, but it was owned
by the same company, so what could I expect. The salary was a tiny micro
percent better, and I again started out putting many hours into every week
and saved the company a lot of money, but after a couple of years without
any appreciation, I went back to my normal work week schedule (which is 40
hours in the states).

I got this job I have now in December last year, and they are really
treating me nice and giving me a much better salary than the other company
did. However, here they believe in family life, and unless it's absolutely
necessary, they don't want people to do overtime, so my normal week is about
50-60 hours at this time.

Hth,

Ole

 Ole Drews Jensen