>the transport layer provides flow control.

There routinely is flow control at transport (e.g., TCP) and in data
link protools (e.g., LAP-B).  Cisco also tends to call source quench
(the use of which is deprecated) and buffering "flow control," but
these mechanisms are not true flow control.

Flow control implies the receiver has an feedback mechanism back to
the sender.  Explicit flow control includes mechanisms such as the
RNR frame in SDLC or LAP-B, while TCP uses implicit flow control
based on not receiving ACKs (or receiving delayed ACKs).

Congestion control is really the broader term, which includes flow
control, proactive and reactive queueing, etc.