from the below link:

"...The inside device cannot use the IP address of the outside device
because it is the same as the address assigned to itself (the inside
device). Therefore, the inside device will send a DNS query for the outside
device's domain name. The inside device's IP address will be the source of
this query, and that address will be translated to an address from the
"test-loop" pool because the ip nat inside source list command is
configured.

The DNS server replies to the address which came from the pool "test-loop"
with the IP address associated with the outside device's domain name in the
payload of the packet. The destination address of the reply packet is
translated back to the inside device's address, and the address in the
payload of the reply packet is then translated to an address from the pool
"test-dns" because of the ip nat outside source list command. Therefore the
inside device learns that the IP address for the outside device is one of
the addresses from the "test-dns" pool, and it will use this address when
communicating with the outside device. The router running NAT takes care of
the translations at this point..."

Is that accurate??? The "ip nat outside source" command will translate the
IP in the PAYLOAD of the DNS reply packet even though it is not the
source??? doesn't sound right and I am unable to test it rite now...

Charles