For the past couple of weeks I've been whacking out various CCIE practice
labs. I've also been suffering various degrees of euphoria and depression,
depending upon how badly I was suckered by the redistribution problems.

After a particularly long and frustrating day with the Cisco ASET Lab #1, it
suddenly occurred to me that there are many ways to do things, and for some
reason, I've been overlooking what may be the best way to deal with
redistribution.

Those of you who have worked these practice labs know how it goes. You read
through the lab, then you start configuring.

Step 1 - set up OSPF
Step 2 - set up RIP
Step 3 - redistribute between OSPF and RIP
Step 4 - set up EIGRP
Step 5 - redistribute between EIGRP and RIP
Step 6 - set up IS-IS
Step 7 - redistribute between IS-IS and OSPF
Step 8 - scream in anguish as you discover that your routing tables have
turned to trash and half your network becomes unreachable.

ASET #1 was particularly nasty in how it accomplished Step 8

Which brings me to the topic of this post. CCIE's and folks who've been
through the Lab without success - what do you think of this approach:

1) do NOT do any redistribution anyplace until all routing protocols have
been configured everywhere. Yes, I know that typically you have a section
with several steps, one of which is redistribution. But mark your place and
return after the IGPs are up and running and all routes for a particular IGP
are where they should be.

2) return to the first redistribution task. Before configuring anything,
refer to your diagram ( you DO write out a nice diagram, don't you? ) and
ask yourself: "after I do one way redistribution, what routes will appear
where?"

2a) Consider how administrative distance might change things

2b) Follow the redistribution to it's extreme. For example, if you
redistribute EIGRP into OSPF, what routers will these routes end up on? Will
there be any implications to the routing tables?

3) repeat step 2 for every redistribution point, each time considering the
totality of the contents of the redistributed routes. So if you have
redistributed IS-IS into OSPF, how do those redistributed routes flow
through the OSPF domain?

4) Keep an eye out for things like split horizon

5) every step along the way, consider what routers need to see what routes.
Watch for situations where necessary routes do not appear. ( you have
probably trashed it because of overzealous filtering. )

5) If problems occur, such as a routing loop, trace back where the problem
route came from, and see what can be done to evade the problem. Summary
routes work wonders sometimes. So do route-maps and distribute lists.

Re-reading this, I see that this topic does not lend itself well to text. I
can say with certainty that I now have a very clear vision of redistribution
methodology. I've tested it three times now with different labs, and I
believe I am solving the redistribution problems more quickly than ever. I
hope that I have painted enough of a picture that some of you can fill in
the rest.

Chuck

--
TANSTAAFL
"there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"