You have to think about what you want to do, and about the long term.  While
the rest of the economy experienced a mild and short recession-- so mild
that it is debatable whether it technically should have counted as a
recession, the telecommunications sector experienced something much more
serious.  If I use the word "depression," someone will say that is not
accurate, as you can't have a depression in one industry, or some such
technicality.  This condition will not last forever.  No one is throwing
away their computer and giving up internet access.  We are moving toward
more and more high speed internet access and wireless access, which means
more business and more support work.

 Cisco has just bought Linksys, a consumer networking equip company, which
suggests that Cisco may soon move heavily into the mass market arena.  As
lower-cost Cisco consumer and SOHO devices proliferate,  perhaps the trend
will be for there to be a growing number of Cisco-related jobs, but at lower
pay than we saw in the tech boom.   I think the long-term future for people
near the top of the Cisco knowledgebase pyramid is very good.  Someone will
have to teach all these lower-level support folks, and write books on how to
use such and such Cisco consumer router or switch or firewall, in addition
to doing all the corporate network design/install/troubleshooting work done
now.

Linux is very difficult to learn really well.  True, CCIE lab equipment is
expensive, but I think it may take less time for some people to become a
CCIE than to get the kind of facility with Linux that the Linux-guru jobs
require.  Okay, maybe this is going to be true for only a very few people,
but it might have been true for me.  I mean, the UNIX command line syntax
(-this, /that) often bears no relation to anything that can be used a
mnemonic, while Cisco IOS is very much like plain English.  I know I made a
conscious decision to put away my various Unix platforms (FREEBSD, Red Hat
Linux, Solaris) and concentrate on CCIE.

Anyway, I love the Cisco material I am immersed in now.  You will need to
decide for yourself what you want to do, but if you decide based on the
relative salaries offered right now, you could make the wrong decision.

Tom Larus, CCIE #10,014

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]