ian williams wrote:
> This has come up in the ccie written.
> If I understand this subject correctly AUTO , sends out packets to try and
> match the 2 devices up with regards to speed and duplex.
> If your getting connection problems this would be a speed issue. If its
some
> sort of packet loss/error then this could be a duplex problem.
> I have always configured the CAT port manually so there isnt any problems.
>
> Why would you choice AUTO?

   This issue has been beat upon quite frequently as of late, ask Mr.
Neiberger;)

   I'll give you a good reason why you might choose auto.  Had a large
customer who recently installed a 4507 with supIV and 48 port
10/100/1000 cards.  The customer was seeing a very large number of input
and CRC errors.  They hardcoded the ports and tried differant ports and
modules, no help.  I suggested they try auto and wallah, all errors
ceased.  Try manual again and the errors reappear immediately.

   Dave

--
David Madland
CCIE# 2016

"Government can do something for the people only in proportion as it
can do something to the people." -- Thomas Jefferson