Long ago there were stickers like "licensed for EN" or "licensed for DT"
Next there were stickers that came in the box when one bought a router with
an enhanced IOS. The router had IP installed and we installed the upgraded
version from the box. Just looked at an 11.2 box for DeskTop for a 2500.
Sticker starts CD25... and goes on for 14 numbers after the "CD"
I also am not sure how we/Cisco keep track of who has paid for what IOS.