To beat further, ensuring the horse is truly dead--

Look at your telephone. Think about all the features (which really are
features, unlike some software "features" we all know and love). When the
power goes out, you can pick up the phone and still get dial tone. The total
lag time on a typical PSTN call from one coast of North America to the other
is ~70ms, last I saw it measured; in that time it passed through dozens of
switches on a dedicated circuit which was dynamically created for that call,
and was torn down immediately after it ended.

The simpler the technology is to use for the average consumer, the more
complex the system behind that facade. Virtually everyone can make a phone
call, including toddlers who know to call 911. What makes that system work
is a lot of design and implementation with careful and thorough testing --
in other words, a lot of network engineering.

The "grunt work" of networking will evolve, as it has for every other
technology, but those who understand what happens and why that happens will
still have work -- if nothing else, from cleaning up other peoples' messes.

Annlee

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]