Nuurul Basar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) I have a new network running on Cisco Switch with 4 Vlan, I
> am having
> problem when connecting it to the old network running on D-Link.
>
> 2) From my Switch 3550, I an unable to reach out to the old
> network
> 172.20.0.x segment(255.255.248.0).
>
> 3) On my MSFC I have put a static route with 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
> 172.20.0.251(old network default gateway).  But when I do a
> show ip route,
> there is no route for 172.20.0.x learn from the old network.

The next hop in the static route statement has to be directly reachable from
the MSFC. What is the address and subnet mask of the MSFC interface that is
in the 172.20.0.0/21 network?

> 4) I am able to ping the network if my notebook is connected to
> Vlan1 and
> using the ip 172.20.1.30 gateway 172.20.0.251.  Which shows
> that the
> connection from the new to the old network is working fine.

What subnet mask is the notebook using? The notebook and gateway are in the
same subnet if the mask is 255.255.248.0. Your notebook just goes to the old
default gateway. It doesn't seem like you are testing the connection from
the new to the old network. From a network-layer and addressing point of
view, the 3500 doesn't seem to play a role in the test you just described.

> 5) The Dlink is a layer 2 device and the 172.20.0.251 is actual
> ip interface
> at  Netsecure100 (trust).  I have add in my new vlan ip into
> the trust area
> by still fail to establish any route.
>
> 6)  Tracert from the new network will stop at 172.25.1.254 ( my
> router)

Is 172.25.1.254 the subnet for the new network? What address and mask does
the MSFC use on that subnet?

Where are you doing the tracert? What is the address of the device doing the
testing?

Earlier you said ping worked. Are you saying that Tracert fails, but ping
worked? That would be an access list or security problem.) But I don't think
that's what you're saying. I think ping works on the old subnet, but nothing
works on from the new subnet??

>       Tracert from the old network will go to 172.20.0.251 then
> to the
> Internet
>
> I have no idea where the problem is, I believed it have to do
> some thing
> with the D-LINK and Netsecure but my Manager advice me to
> recheck the CAT6

Cat6? Where does it come in? Or did you mean the 3500?

> config.

You better send us the config. Also more information about your IP
addressing design. Are there two subnets?

There's not enough information here for us to help. I'm just taking guesses
based on the things that tend to go wrong.

Priscilla