I have a question regarding VTP.

I am working with a network configuration that has dual 6509's as core
switches.  One is the VTP domain server, the other is a VTP domain client.
All other 4000 switches are defined as client also.

I need to take both 6509's down to upgrade the Cat-OS on them, however I am
concerned about what happens to the other switches when the VTP domain
server goes away while the other 6509 is in client mode.

I know that I can assign multiple VTP servers to a domain.  My original
thought is to first make sure that the client 6509 is running the same VTP
revision # as the server 6509.  Then I should be able to change the client
6509 to VTP server mode.  Then in theory either server can take over VTP
responsibilites, because one will be able to act as the other if the other
one goes away.

What I was also wondering, do all VLAN's go disabled if I were to only have
a single VTP server and shut it down when the rest of the switches are
clients?  If so, would this happen right away, or after 5 minutes? If I take
the 6509 server down, it will not be able to tell anyone that a topology
change has occurred, but will the clients be looking for the VTP 5 minute
updates?

If anyone could help clarify this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dave C.