Mark E. Hayes wrote:

> Ok n rf... I will admit before I go any farther, this is a rant
> ;)
>
> You have hit the nail on the head. The one that puts me over
> the top. I
> am going to refer back to my first rant over CCIE numbers.
> hehehe. The
> part where Corporate America oughtta go hang out with the Nazis
> in S.A.
> When is enough, enough? NAFTA brought about the demise of the
> labor
> sector (as far as assembly line workers, and more menial tasks
> that
> employers did not want to pay minimum wage here to do). The
> spin was
> that higher tech jobs would be available. Well we had a nice
> run for
> about 8 years. Now the higher tech jobs are being farmed out to
> "off-site" locations. I can almost picture a bunch of poor
> souls locked
> in a NOC and having to ask to go to the bathroom like they do
> in the
> Mexican plants run by a few rich guys hired out to American
> interests.
> All in the name of $aving money. I haven't checked but I doubt
> Caterpillar passed on the savings when they moved their
> production
> facilities to Mexico.
>
> The way things are going the only jobs left will be food
> service and
> nurses. The only problem is nobody will be working to afford
> either one
> of the services. I changed career fileds in the mid-to-late
> nineties
> hoping I would be able to hold on to something worthwhile. I
> chose
> networking. It turned out to be an addiction. I love doing this
> stuff
> but un-employment sucks! In retrospect nursing would have been
> a better
> choice, but hey the market wasn't to good for them either back
> then.
> Will American companies EVER realize they have a commitment to
> keep this
> country strong. After all, if no one is working who will buy
> their
> services?
>
> I know you are not the cause, only the messenger. So please
> forgive my
> rant.
>
> Mark

Well, as a free-market capitalist, I have several points to make

* Own any stocks?  Perhaps a mutual fund in a 401k?  If so, guess what,
you're part of the very Corporate America that you apparently despise.  If
you own shares in American companies, then your portfolio is helped by any
and all cost-cutting moves made by those companies.

*Ever use any foreign products?  I bet you have.  Just go out to the street
and check out all the foreign cars.  There's a good chance you have one in
your garage. Or just look at the clothes you wear.  I bet you that your
underwear was made either in Mexico or in Asia.  In fact, just take a look
around your room at all the househood goods.  How many of them were
manufactured in other countries?  Probably most of them.  In fact, look at
your PC.  Probably only one component of your PC - the microprocessor - was
actually manufactured in the US.  Most of your PC was probably built in Asia.

The point is that you as a consumer want the best product for the least
cost.  I want to pay as little as possible for my socks, which is why the
socks I buy tend to be made in Mexico.  I want to drink the best beer in the
world, which is why the beer I buy is never American-made, it tends to be
made in Germany.  Surely you have bought goods that were made in other
countries either because they are cheaper or higher quality or both.

But if you choose the most optimal good, whether domestic or foreign, then
is it really surprising to discover that companies will choose the most
optimal workforce, whether domestic or foreign?

* I detect a strong tone that American companies should hire only American
workers, is that true?

If so, does it then follow that foreign companies should hire only foreign
workers?  For example, should Nortel fire all its employees and replace them
all with Canadians?  Should the Shell oil refinery near my house eliminate
all its American plant workers and replace them all with Brits?  Should CBS
fire all its American workers and replace them with Japanese (CBS is owned
by Sony).

The point is that turnabout is fair play.  If you want to say that American
companies should not employ foreigners, then you have to be prepared for the
logical conclusion that foreign companies should not employ Americans.

* I think your view of the future is a tad bleaker than it needs to be.

While service-work will be more outsourced, what kind of work will stay
here?  Yes, the cable-monkey work.  You will actually need a pair of hands
here to do the grunt work.  But what other kind of work?  Simple - the
business leadership/management, the finance, the sales, - in short, the
high-end, "high-touch", work that is not easily outsourced at all.  And who
tends to make more money, the engineers or the business
leadership/finance/sales?  Right.  Therefore, the high-yield, high-margin
work will stay here.

Perhaps some historical perspective is in order.  200 years ago, the United
States was a backwards nation on the fringes of the levers of power, where
most of the citizenry worked in agriculture.  100 years later, the US was
the strongest and most industrialized nation on earth.  How else could this
have happened had not millions of people been essentially forced to stop
farming and work in factories instead?  Where else were the newly-born
American factories supposed to find workers, if not from the farms?  Labor
is not just conjured out of thin air, it has to come from somewhere.  The
only way for the US to have made the transformation from backwards farming
country to a super-strong industrial nation was, essentially, for millions
of farming jobs to be lost due to mechanization and foreign competition.
Only through these job losses was labor freed up to enter the booming
American industrial sector.  But what would have happened if this progress
had been impeded?  For example, what if one of the many "save our farming
jobs" campaigns that were run in the 1800's actually succeeded?  Then the US
would still be a poor backwards agricultural nation and it would be a
European nation or Japan which would be the strongest nation on earth.

And besides, think about this.  You may lament the fact that jobs are going
to India, but the net immigration from India to the US is still a large
positive number.  Many Indians come here to work, but it's rare to find
Americans who move to India to work (only ones I've heard of are
Indian-Americans).  So clearly there are still more jobs created here than
being outsourced to India.

Anyway, it's all stuff to think about.  Chuck's basic premise is correct in
that if you want to maintain employability, you have to demonstrate why your
job is important from a business perspective, not just from a technical
one.  Who cares about the ability to move packets around, what's important
is that you understand how that ability translates into dollars.  Guys who
understand the business case of networking will tend to keep their jobs.
Guys who only understand the technical aspects of this job are easily
outsourced.