From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of n
rf
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 7:45 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Technology, Certification, Skill Sets, and Loo [7:70953]

Mark E. Hayes wrote:

> My basic point is this, however moot. I am not talking about
> NOT hiring
> foreign workers. I have no beef with that. My beef is with
> CORPORATE
> GREED. You claim to be a free-market capitalist. Are you a
> business
> owner? Or do you invest in the market, or both?

Well, yes and yes.

And apparently, so are you, at least on the first question. You stated
yourself in a previous post that you are starting your own business.
Furthermore, you probably own stock of some form or another, perhaps in
401k.

>Maybe I should
> have said
> this in my previous post. My disgust in Corporate America stems
> from the
> total lack of morals and sense of responsibility to the people
> who put
> them where they are, their workers.

But that's not really the purpose of companies.  Companies are amoral,
which
is not the same as immoral.  Simply put, companies exist to make profit.

Period.  There simply is no other reason for a company to exist.  Rough
as
this may sound, we both know that businesses do not exist for the
purpose of
benefitting workers.  They exist for the purpose of making money.
Simple as
that.

> Believe it or not, I am not
> Democrat. I sway towards the conservative side. But I believe
> you have
> to have some morals when you run a business. There is a
> symbiotic
> realtionship that exists between the worker and the employer. I
> know
> employers hold the cards and can dictate the rules as they see
> fit. But
> laying off 10,000 workers after reporting 40,000,000 dollars in
> profit
> for the quarter is callous. The cliche "we have to do what's
> right for
> the business" comes to mind.

Look, I'm not blind to the pain that layoffs cause.  But in your
particular
case, I would ask how many people happen to be shareholders in that
particular company?  Almost certainly a lot more than 10,000.  The
company's
earnings, and hence the stock price was probably helped by the layoffs,
and
since there ware more stockholders than workers, the overall net benefit
is
still positive.  Sometimes you gotta hurt the few in order to help the
many.

>Enron and MCI are shining examples
> of
> corporate greed. How many people lost their retirement, their
> lives?

I'm not endorsing criminal behavior.  Obviously criminal behavior should
be
prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

But in the case of Enron, (I know I'm gonna get flamed for saying this),
but
I have to say that a big chunk of responsibility needs to be doled out
the workers themselves.   Obviously not all the responsibility goes to
them,
but you simply can't say that they were blameless on this score.

The 'problem', if you will, with the Enron scandal is that a lot of
workers
chose to fully stack their 401k's with Enron stock, and then those
401k's
tanked as Enron stock tanked. But first of all, nobody's "entitled" to a
401k - Enron was offering it as a perk. There are millions of Americans
who
don't get a 401k or any other kind of retirement package.  Secondly,
those
Enron workers who got hurt the most were the ones who chose to fully
stack
their 401k's purely with Enron stock.  They didn't have to do that -
they
could have chosen more diversified investments.  Those who did so, quite
frankly, were engaging in a high-risk high-reward investment strategy.
For
example, those Microsoft workers back in the 1980's who chose to plow
their
net worth into Microsoft stock chose a high-risk strategy that won big.
If
you intentionally put all your eggs in one basket, sometimes you'll win
big,
but sometimes you'll lose big.  Third, those workers could have cashed
out
their Enron stock at (almost) any time.  When Enron hit $90, some of
those
workers did and are quite rich.  Those guys obviously have nothing to
complain about.  But as Enron dropped to $10, those workers could have
cashed out, but they didn't.  Only for perhaps a 10-day period when
Enron
froze its 401k could they not have cashed out.  OK, I agree that was
bad.
But the stock only dropped from about $14 to $10 during that time.  What
about the drop from $90 to $14?  They could have cashed out anytime
then.

The point is simply that while I feel bad for the pain that Enron
employees
felt, the fact is, a lot of that pain was due to the fact that they
chose
what was effectively a high-risk, high-reward investment strategy.  Some
of
those Enron employees made out like bandits - for example, those guys
who
cashed out when the stock hit 90.  Those guys actually got fabulously
wealthy because of the criminal behavior of Mssrs. Lay and Fastow.

None of that is to excuse the criminal behavior of those suits.  By all
means throw the book at Lay and Fastow and any other nefarious brass.
But
the point is, people need to watch their investments.  If you
intentionally
choose a high-risk, high-reward investment strategy, you gotta
understand
that while you have the chance of becoming fabulously wealthly (like
those
guys who cashed out at 90), you also run the risk of losing it all.

> I guess we could come down from the mountaintop and say
> "Weeellll,
> here's how it is. You don't have a PhD and a wonderful stock
> portfolio
> so you can just go by the way side. No life for you. You don't
> have the
> education to be a CEO, you have morals so you can't go into
> sales".
> Management has been pretty shaky for a while too. I know guys
> afraid to
> lose their jobs because they know they can't find another one
> that pays
> as well without having a BA or BS or higher.

First of all, if you don't have a BA or a BS, then you should probably
think
about getting one.

Second of all, we've been through this before.  In every recession
there's
an outcry warning of the death of the American worker.  Yet the story of
American economic history has been a story of nearly constantly rising
living standards and nearly-ever-increasing per-capita incomes.   I
don't
see why it would be any different this time.  Americans have almost
retooled
themselves to stay 2 or 3 steps ahead of the rest of the world.
Remember
that the US has completely and successfully transformed its economy
several
times in its history - from predominantly agricultural to predominantly
industrial to predominantly post-industrial/services.

> >>From your reply- "in short, the high-end, "high-touch", work
> that is
> not easily outsourced at all.  And who tends to make more
> money, the
> engineers or the business leadership/finance/sales?  Right.
> Therefore,
> the high-yield, high-margin work will stay here."  great if
> you want to do this kind of work. Personally, I prefer the
> engineer's
> work.

Hey, I prefer sitting around at home all day long watching basketball
and
eating potato chips.  Let's face it, Mark.  You can't always do what you
want to do.  That's life.

Actually, I take that back (slightly).  You CAN do whatever you want to
do,
but you can't expect that other people will pay you for it.  I can
indeed
sit around at home watching ball and eating chips, but nobody's going to
pay
me for that.  You can go be a network engineer, but nobody's obligated
pay you to do it.

>But because they have have to pay more than minimum wage
> to an
> engineer because it is "skilled labor" they want to outsource
> it. "Can't
> pay some monkey with a mind for technology more than I am
> paying my
> masseuse! Yeah that's it, I'll teach the jerk. I just gotta
> find my
> business card from that outsourcing company specializing in
> "off-site"
> relocation, yeah that's the ticket. Now my stock will go up
> because my
> bottom line looks better and I'll get that big fat stock
> option. At the
> press conference I'll just state I did it for the shareholders
> when I
> tell them about all the layoffs".

First of all, I would ask aren't those people who are now taking the
newly
outsourced jobs workers too?  Sure, they may be in India, but Indians
are
people too - are you saying that Indians don't deserve jobs?  That you
are
somehow more deserving than those Indians?

Second of all, let's not go overboard with the layoff thing. Obviously
if
all you have to do to raise your stock price is lay people off, then why
doesn't John Chambers just lay off everybody at Cisco except himself.
Cisco
would then be a company of one employee, and since Chambers is only
taking a
salary of $1 this year, the stock price would then go through the roof,
right?  Heck, why doesn't every company lay off everybody except the
CEO?
Either John Chambers is stupid for not realizing this (and if he's so
stupid, then why exactly is he the CEO?), or the relationship between
layoffs and stock prices is more complicated than I'm postulating.
Somehow
I don't think it's the former.

> All of this outsourcing and lowering the bottom line sounds
> really good
> for the company, but for the workers who put them in the
> position to be
> number one or twelve or whatever they are, it all boils down to
> one
> thing. LESS JOBS!!! I don't recall at the moment any press
> conferences
> from CEOs stating they rescinded their stock options, bonuses,
> or raises
> when times got tough.

Well, some did.  Notably John Chambers, who cut his salary to $1.

>Nope, they usually outsource and cut the
> jobs of
> the people who are trying to make a decent living w/o an Ivy
> League
> education.
>
> Give me a minute while I put my shields up!

I am not minimizing the pain of people who have gone through layoffs.
But
on the other hand, this is the way the business cycle works.  Sometimes
business is good, and other times, business is bad.  I didn't hear too
many
workers complaining during the dotcom boom days when lots of them were
becoming millionaires.