annlee wrote:

> It could also simply be poor phrasing -- CCIE is considered
> overqualified
> for the job, or (possibly) too specialized. If that sounds
> bizarre, think
> from another angle: maybe the job is not so much
> Cisco-networking centric,

I think that's what it is. I found the job description by searching. I'll
post it below. I think the hiring manager wants someone with broader skills
than a CCIE would have. Notice that MCSE is required.

With that said, it's a pretty strange requirement that the person can't have
a CCIE. I think the hiring manager has a chip on her or his shoulder from a
bad experience with CCIEs or maybe jealousy because she/he never got one or
something? If the job market were hot, this would be a red flag to me and I
would stay away. Of course, the job market sucks, so if I were looking, I
would enquire about this job, despite my concerns.

Anyway, here's the job description with some details removed since the Web
site owner could object otherwise:

"You will work as part of a team to support a large WAN covering 5 countries
and 30 locations. Will support and maintain existing network and servers as
well as design and deploy solutions to add locations to existing network.
Will also take part in various projects involving servers, VPN, Exchange,
Citix etc. Travel at very short notice will be required and may account for
50% of the role.

Requirements
Must have a minimum of 4 years' experience supporting a large corporate WAN.
Must have had hands-on experience supporting a network running at least 40
servers. Should be an expert in both NT and Windows 2000 and have an MCSE.
VPN and Cisco skills should be very strong and be accompanied by a CCNA
(CCNP's will be considered, however, CCIE's or nearly qualified CCIE's will
not be). Ideal candidate will also have strong Citrix and Exchange skills. "

By the way, did anyone else see that article from Associated Press in New
York about baby boomers out of work? One section focused on someone who left
out that she has an MBA in order to get an interview!

Priscilla