NetBIOS is a session layer protocol. Of course it's routable.

Yes, it's true that IBM invented NetBIOS.

NetBEUI was the name of IBM's software module that implemented NetBIOS. It
usually ran in conjunction with TOKREUI, by the way, which was driver
software for Token Ring.

NetBEUI didn't make any calls to a network layer. It assumed it was running
directly above LLC and made calls to LLC's interface. It also make
source-route bridging calls, by the way.

It's just semantics at this point but does point out a couple higher-level
concepts.

One, networking is more complicated than the simple statements like "NetBIOS
is not routable" that you will find in Networking 101 papers.

Two, it's important to understand that every layer makes calls to a layer
below and every layer offers services to a layer above. Because the service
interface of a layer, whether it be LLC or UDP, is well known (hopefully),
any upper layer can call on it. So, an implementation of a session layer
protocol such as NetBIOS can call on UDP, TCP, LLC, or IPX. That's the real
message from the infamous OSI model. It's all about service interfaces.

Priscilla

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/cnet/cnad_arc_khqp.asp