We have a Cisco  VIP card plugged into a 7500 router. Every once in a while
the card  just stops working and sometimes it gets stuck so hard that we
have to reload the microcode. The last we did that, the router crashed and
had to be reset (Ugly!). Well, it gets worse. After having to convince the
guys at the local Cisco office to help us in this issue, they came to our
facilities and began their analysis. To make a long story short, they told
us that these problems were caused by cosmic rays! We almost fainted! Cosmic
rays!
Has anybody around here ever heard of this problem in this combo?  Let me
tell you this router is not installed in a spaceship or something like that,
it4s just an ordinary datacenter.
Any ideas about what the real problem might be?

P. S. The router is using a recent version of IOS (newer than 12.1) and has
been patched as per the Cisco site.

Thanks a lot for any advice on this issue.