"" Curious""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hello,
>
> I know that is a bad idea to configure a port with "portfast" when this
port
> connect with other switch (loops can be created), but the question is:
could
> I put a port connected to a router in portfast mode? A router is a layer 3
> device not a layer 2, so I think this is not a risk, am I right? This way
> the port wakes up quickly, right? And the final question: If I configure a
> portfast port with a trunk an connect it to a router?

My understanding of the reason for the existence of the portfast function in
the first place had to do with startup times for protocols like IPX. I can
recall in one production network I managed, where we ran IP and IPX, it was
not uncommon for a machine to boot on the IP side but fail to boot on the
IPX side - the IPX side timed out prior to establishing a connection with an
IPX server. I could browse the internet, for example, but I was unable to
log on to the Novell server. The solution was portfast on all the
switchports to which servers and users connected.

A router isn't going to care one way or another since it is not logging on
to anything. So the answer is that it can't hurt.

I'm curious - what is it you think will be gained?