neil K wrote:

> The Cisco bridge operates in Half-duplex and that is why
> half-duplex. The
> Router is a Cisco 1751 with WIC-1ENET, which is connected to
> the Wireless
> Bridge.
> I checked with the "output Interpreter" on CCO and it said the
> collisions
> are more than 0.53 much higher than 0.1 normal rate.

That doesn't sound like a serious problem.

> Here's the output of sh interfaces e 0/0
>
> Ethernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up
>   Hardware is PQUICC Ethernet, address is 0004.dd0d.5502 (bia
> 0004.dd0d.5502)
>   Internet address is 172.20.1.2/24
>   MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
>      reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
>   Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
>   Keepalive set (10 sec)
>   Half-duplex, 10BaseT
>   ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
>   Last input 00:00:00, output 00:00:00, output hang never
>   Last clearing of "show interface" counters 3d20h
>   Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output
> drops: 0
>   Queueing strategy: weighted fair
>   Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
>      Conversations  0/5/256 (active/max active/max total)
>      Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
>      Available Bandwidth 7200 kilobits/sec
>   5 minute input rate 53000 bits/sec, 13 packets/sec
>   5 minute output rate 8000 bits/sec, 13 packets/sec
>      4528216 packets input, 642790340 bytes, 0 no buffer
>      Received 176451 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
>      0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
>      0 input packets with dribble condition detected
>     6314935 packets output, 279254727 bytes, 0 underruns
>      59281 output errors, 86548 collisions, 0 interface resets

86548 divided by 6314935 is about 1%. That's not a big deal. I know Cisco
says that the threshold is 0.1%, but they just made that number up. There's
no exact number where you have to be concerned, and most experts have said
for years that Cisco's 0.1% is extremely low. They just want to sell you
switches! :-)

Collisions are a normal part of Ethernet's media access control method. They
go up with load as 2 or more stations try to send simultaneously.

You aren't seeing a high load now, but the load statistic is for the last
five minutes. If you want to try to correlate load with collisions, you
should clear the counters and keep an eye on the statistics.

The nefarious 59281 output errors are curious. It's supposed to be a total
of all the other output errors and I would think it would count the
collisions, but Cisco isn't very clear about this. Why wouldn't they count
all the collisions? Or maybe the output errors are different from the
collisions, but I don't know what else they would be. Cisco just says that
output errors are a cumulation of the other errors and that they may not add
up to the others because a frame could have more than one error, which
doesn't apply to your situation.

>      0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 deferred is a good sign, as are all those other 0 error counts.

I don't think you really have a problem. What gave you concern? I guess the
collisions went up. But that would be normal if they went up at the same
time as both ends of the interface were trying to send a lot of traffic.

By the way, what does the other end say about errors? (i.e. the wireless
bridge interface, can it show you some statistics?)

What else did Cisco's Output Interpreter have to say about the statistics?
Can you copy and paste its report? It could help us help you.

Are users complaining? If not, I would say just to use the data you have
gathered as baseline data, but not as data that causes any troubleshooting
action.

If users are complaining, then use the troubleshooting method called "swap
'til you drop." Change the cable, the interfaces, etc. But my guess is that
nothing is wrong. Your interface looks extremely healthy.

Priscilla