Group,

There have at various times been discussions and debates about binary vs.
decimal expressions in the computing and networking industries.  I've waded
deep into several of them.  In the last that I recall, I was musing how some
hard drives now seem to be marketed in decimal form (1,000,000 bytes = 1 MB
instead of 1024 x 1024 = 1,048,560 = 1 MB), presumably in order to gain some
silly perceived advantage.  Well...

I recently returned from an extended overseas assignment.  I had finally
declared one evening in my hotel room that I was through with lugging around
old, scratched CDs and would finally join the digital revolution (MP3) upon
my return to the States.  Well, I went straight out and bought a "20 GB" MP3
player from Arcos.  This is essentially an external hard drive (plus an LCD
display, a few buttons, and a headphone jack) that shows up in Windows
Exploder as a new drive once attached to a computer's USB port.
Interestingly enough, it shows up in Windows as an 18.6 GB hard drive.
Since Microsoft doesn't sell hard drives, they have no incentive to stretch
the truth.  Of course, 20 "GB" / 1024 = 19.531 / 1024 = 19.073 / 1024 =
18.626.  So it's really a "20 gB" hard drive after all.  Or, more
appropriately, it's an 18.6 GB hard drive.

What I really, really got a kick out of was the file utility on the Arcos
box itself.  It declares (via the LCD) that you have xx,xxx number of
available MB out of a possible 19,060 MB.  Of course, 19,060 / 1024 =
~18.6.  Perhaps a compromise between Engineering and Marketing was struck?