I think we're really approaching a discussion of operational
knowledge vs. technical knowledge. The young intern (and the ones
at the teaching hospital here really do look they're right out of
high school last week) has a lot of knowlege, and it isn't just
crammed into her head; it's organized, systematically and
topically, else she never would have made it past the
comprehensive exams.

Operational knowledge, acquired from experience, sets up
non-academic linkages among the knowledge sets. Those linkages
are empirical, and are thus never quite the same from one
individual to the next. One reason interns get exposed to all the
various rotations is to ensure they get a wide variety of
opportunities to make new linkages (under supervision, for the
patient's sake). That's also a reason to work them such long
hours (as well as to ensure they can act reasonably under stress
-- and "reasonably" has a very high accuracy component in medicine).

We have not applied these principles in IT, or in the networking
subdiscipline of IT. I doubt we could without a major shift in
underlying knowledge required to be demonstrated before anyone is
supervised as a network intern. It would probably take a major
network disaster before such a system would be called for -- and
I, for one, would rather avoid that if possible. The clean up
afterwards is too big a pain.

Annlee

Howard replied to Carroll, et al:
major snip--