At 3:53 PM +0000 6/26/03, douglas mizell wrote:
>Jeez,
>
>              That is ridiculous, the program is run by Cisco, a private
>corporation. It is not a government entity and requiring those types of
>prerequisites makes no sense. How do you quantify experience anyway?

Several ways.  In an actual certification context, the Nortel
architect level certification requires that you submit five writeups
of networks you have implemented, followed by an open-book design
exercise that has realistic, not speed-typist, requirements.  All of
these writeups are graded by a board of human experts, which
obviously limits the scalability of the program.

The idea of presenting case studies is one of the methods used by
medical specialty boards. Admittedly, they have the advantage of
being able to approve residencies (or equivalents for nonphysicians),
and require successful completion of an appropriate program.  But for
board certification, there are still oral examinations and case
presentations.

In the pre-1995 days of CCSI certification, there was no exam per se,
just a variable period -- often several weeks -- of in-person oral
exams, team and observed teaching, and lab exercises, that still just
got you a provisional certification. Your full certification came
after several months of satisfactory class evaluations.

Interestingly, the old CCSI program was extremely flexible. I
remember several occasions where it turned out I was the expert in
residence (e.g., on OSI addressing) on a particular topic, and an
ad-hoc workshop was set up, both to evaluate my presentation but also
pick my brain.

The CCIE program was introduced in mid-1993, so it's newer than CCSI.
Sometime in 1995, the CCSI format changed to something more scalable,
involving passing a written and coming to Cisco for two days of
"charm school" and observed teaching. In the pre-1995 CCSI, there was
rarely more than one or two people being evaluated, so you could have
multiple proctors evaluating at the same time.

>What
>about a guy who has fifteen years in the industry, gets his CCIE but has
>worked on the same technology, same network etc for years, he is not working
>with new technology so has no real experience with it either.

Returning to your original point, I have much less concern with
"years of experience" than the ability to perform in the real world
and explain what you did.  I recognize this may be more difficult
when the emphasis is configuration and troubleshooting, but it's
still do-able: give writeups of how you solved particular and
challenging problems.

The ability to describe and document a troubleshooting approach is
extremely valuable -- it speaks directly to things that you would do
as a senior staffer and presumably mentor. I have some questions that
I use in interviewing people where I tell them I really don't expect
them to have the exact answer (although I'd be pleased if they did),
but I'm looking for them to be able to make me understand how they
approach the problem.

One of the first five CCIEs uses a related strategy. He'll interview
by giving you symptoms and asking what your next steps would be, with
his giving you results.  A favorite question is based on a
two-router, two-serial line production environment where the routers
were moved during the night, and the people doing the move
accidentally switched the serial cables to the wrong routers.  In the
example, all the routers were running IGRP, so it wasn't that you
didn't get some meaningful protocol activity -- but lots of very
weird things as well.