I wanted to post this in response to several of the threads about
"how many peers can I have", "how much resources does BGP consume,"
etc.  It's not that this gives the answers, but it does have 42 pages
of information (a fair bit of technical tutorial) on just defining
the problem so a meaningful measurement can be made.

That measurement, incidentally, will be valid only for a specific
test setup.  When you get into serious capacity planning, I recommend
either getting a knowledgeable opinion (which could be from Cisco
sales as long as you have someone clueful), or benchmarking.

The team hopes this is the final before it goes to the RFC editor and
gets a number.