TP wrote:

> Dear Group,
>
> I need help about multiscast.
> This is a simple topology... I've to test some video streamer
> devices so I
> must generate multicast traffic.
> All video devices are connected to a catalyst 3550xl.
> We can reach the office LAN  through the same catalyst, in
> particular from/by
> fastethernet0/1.
>
> I must avoid that multicast traffic genereted locally  floods
> the LAN creating
> excessive traffic.
> Can I achieve this?

"IGMP Snooping" or "Multicast Multilayer Switching" (MMLS) would probably do
the trick but a quick look in the Software Advisor

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/CompNav/Index.pl?Introduction=True

doesn't bode well for you.  It doesn't look as if the 3550 supports either
feature.  You may require a higher end switch.  I've implemented IGMP
Snooping in 6509s, but nothing smaller.  Without one of these features,
which allow the switch to know who's interested, the default is to flood
multicast.  Maybe there is a L2 access list option or something?

Regards,

Scott