With respect for the fact that this is a cisco list I
would still like to point out that it is precisely
because of the cpu intensive nature of crypto that the
most popular solution is not a router per se but a
dedicated VPN box such as the Nortel Contivity.

For the curious:
http://www.nortelnetworks.com/products/01/contivity/doclib.html

In the same vein I must point out that it is the
central cpu cisco router architecture and top down
nature of IOS that makes any kind of additional
processing problematic. Other router architectures
that utilize distributed processing can handle these
additional chores much more gracefully.

Chuck...any guess as to where I wound up working ?

http://www.cisco.com/cpropart/sync-src/ccstcp/cc/techno/protocol/ipsecur/ips