Thanks for the answer of Kevin Wigle and Mwalie W, they are all correct. To
get CCNP certification, a valid (not expired) CCNA certification is
required. So it means that I need cost another $125 to take the CCNA exam,
although the exam itself is easy. :-)

The following is the answer from Cisco, it may be useful you.

Thanks all, let's make this forum better.

Grant

--------Cisco's Answer----------------------
Dear Qing:

Yes, you will need to take the CCNA exam. To achieve the Cisco Certified
Network Professional (CCNP) certification you have a valid CCNA certification.

On June 24, 2003 Cisco Systems, Inc. announced three enhancements to the
CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) program. The enhancements include a
new two-step exam path for new candidates entering the networking field,
revisions to the existing CCNA exam and the option for candidates to
recertify their CCNA certification by passing the ICND 640-811 exam.

Candidates have two options to obtain their CCNA certification:
1. Passing the CCNA 640-607 (Last day to register September 30, 2003) or
CCNA 640-801 exam (available on June 30, 2003)
2. Passing the INTRO 640-821 exam (currently as beta exam 641-821) and ICND
640-811 exam (available on June 30, 2003)

Cisco has developed several recommended courses that are only available
through a Cisco Certified Learning Partner. Use the Learning Locator to
locate the next available course in your area. Contact the Learning Partner
directly for course availability, registration information and cost.

For additional information about the CCNA certification please visit
http://www.cisco.com/go/ccna.

If you have any further questions, click on the hyperlink above to update,
review or generate a support request.

Be sure to bookmark the www.cisco.com/go/certsupport site for all of your
future Cisco Training and Career Certification inquiries.

Best regards,

Certifications & Training Team