Joe,

I just finished a project like this. I took a old sparc5 with 512 meg of
memory and 2 9gig scsi disk and made a spam gateway for a 150 users at a
small company battling with spam. It has been up and running now for 2
months no issues. The great thing about this; the company had to buy no
additional equipment or software other than me requisting they buy openbsd
3.3 for support of the OpenBSD project. The way it is setup is great
because it gives each user the option on how they want to handle spam mail
if they want do not to get it or if they want to receive it and it is all
controlled from their own server. Read this link below and follow the
instructions and you got yourself a mail spam filtering relay which is
secure.
http://lawmonkey.org/anti-spam.html