There is no shame in failing a Cisco written test these days (not that there
ever was). I passed the CCIE Lab on the second attempt and a few months
later failed the Cisco Pix Firewall Exam again and again (after having
always passed Cisco written tests on the first try.)

The Cisco written tests these days are tough, tough, tough.

***I will agree.  All of the certification exams are much more difficult
than before... and now that the dot.com bubble is over a lot less people are
taking them now.  (In my first attempt at the CCIE lab in May there were
only 3 people there.)  In my opinion, the number CCNPs, CCDPs etc. will go
down significantly in the next few years.  It seems like we are slowly
getting back to having people in the field who actually 'like' solving these
types of problems.  Salaries have gone down...  and with that many people
have decided it's not worth the effort...  while others still stay because