Here is some help
http://www.americanfibertek.com/FAQ.htm#fiber and
http://www.americanfibertek.com/products/PDFCatalog/History.pdf
All the fiber I saw followed the convention orange=MM, yellow=SM. MM fiber
is not capable of handling SM input, but SM fiber can handle MM input. IIRC,
the reason was power on the laser emission as well as frequencies used, etc.
There is also some info in SONET, 3e, by Goralski
--it's on amazon.com. I have the 2e, and I learned a ton from it, including
the introductory material about how networking developed as it did.

In our lab, we weren't often blessed with red and blue connectors; more
often it was dual black connectors, in which case we ran fingers down the
fiber to get the 180-degree twist (rx--tx and tx--rx): it really is a manual
crossover. The finger roll only works in a lab, though. Dolphins lose their
grip on the transoceanic fibers...

Annlee

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]