At 03:56 AM 7/18/2003 +0000, annlee wrote:
>Here is some help
>http://www.americanfibertek.com/FAQ.htm#fiber

"singlemode fiber is half the cost of multimode fiber" ???

>  and
>http://www.americanfibertek.com/products/PDFCatalog/History.pdf
>All the fiber I saw followed the convention orange=MM, yellow=SM. MM fiber
>is not capable of handling SM input,

With conditioning cable patches it can.

>  but SM fiber can handle MM input.

Is this a fact? No restrictions, no gotcha's, it just works?

>  IIRC,
>the reason was power on the laser emission as well as frequencies used, etc.
>There is also some info in SONET, 3e, by Goralski
>--it's on amazon.com. I have the 2e, and I learned a ton from it, including
>the introductory material about how networking developed as it did.

It's good for an introduction, I just wish it would continue to elaborate
on the optical aspect, instead of getting into the boring details of SONET.
He chose the title well though, I have to give him that... :)

>In our lab, we weren't often blessed with red and blue connectors; more
>often it was dual black connectors, in which case we ran fingers down the
>fiber to get the 180-degree twist (rx--tx and tx--rx): it really is a manual
>crossover.

I usually check the inscription on the cable. On the cables we use, only
one half has an inscription (on both ends).

>  The finger roll only works in a lab, though. Dolphins lose their
>grip on the transoceanic fibers...

They must be using color codes... :)

Thanks,

Zsombor