From: Reimer, Fred [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 1:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: a really big bug [7:72463]

I do not agree, although I believe my own co-worker does.  Where do you
think attacks on the Internet are launched from?  Yes, there may be some
looser of a person (script kiddie) launching an attack from their home
network, but I'd guess that a fair amount of attacks are launched from
inside corporate networks (or universities).

With that said, it is obvious that the first and most important fix be on
the outside, Internet accessible, IOS devices.  However, I do not believe
that internal devices are immune.  They will be until easy-to-use exploit
tools become available (how many organizations have competent black-hats
inside their network that will be capable of determining the magic packets
on their own?), but I wouldn't be willing to bet on that timeframe.

It sounds to me, from my reading of the advisory, that it's a little more
complicated than "simply increasing the input buffer."  With a default of 75
on some routers, it wouldn't take that much traffic to completely block ALL
interfaces on a device so that you couldn't even get to it to increase the
buffers, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

In all likelihood an attack would spew out the appropriate number of packets
to all router interfaces in your entire network, that's what I would do if I
were launching an attack, a task likely accomplishable in a small number of
seconds.  Because of this, you may not even be able to determine where the
attack was coming from, and your entire network would be down until you
manually reset each IOS device, even at remote sites, which may take quite a
while to do.  As soon as you reset the device, its interfaces would be
blocked again.  So, your only recourse would be to unplug the device from
the network entirely, upgrade the IOS, and then put it back in the network.

Actually, it may not be as bad as that.  Wherever the attack is originating
from wouldn't be able to get past their immediate default router once it was
blocked.  So, a successful system-wide attack would have to start at the
edges of the network, disabling them and then moving towards the attacker.
Still doable in a short amount of time, but some planning would be required.
It would also mean that you would need to start rebooting / upgrading at
your network edge before you tackle the core (assuming the attacker was at
the core) because as soon as you opened up the core then the attacker would
be able to disable the network again.  This could be a way of finding the
attacker.

Unless it is designed as a DDoS.  Then you are screwed.

In order to defend against an attack you need to imagine how you would
devise one.  I'd be willing to bet that I could disable your whole entire
network if I were given access inside somehow (VPN, dial-up, etc), and I had
access to the magic packets.

Will this doomsday scenario materialize quickly?  I don't believe so.
However, since I build and support networks in hospitals not doing anything
is not an option.  Keep in mind that most hospitals have a hard time
scheduling time for maintenance.  It will likely take a few months to get
all devices upgraded.  (Scheduling at night is sometimes not better than in
the morning, as after dark and after bars close is usually not a good time
to have the lab interface, or MRI devices, off-line.  Shift change is also
usually not a good option, nor is the time that doctors make their rounds).

My recommendation would be to upgrade all IOS devices as maintenance windows
allow.  At a minimum install the ACLs that Cisco recommends on all routers
immediately.

Fred Reimer - CCNA

Eclipsys Corporation, 200 Ashford Center North, Atlanta, GA 30338
Phone: 404-847-5177  Cell: 770-490-3071  Pager: 888-260-2050

NOTICE; This email contains confidential or proprietary information which
may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient(s).
If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected the email, please
notify the author by replying to this message. If you are not the named
recipient, you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print
or rely on this email, and should immediately delete it from your computer.