Nice post. a couple of thoughts in line below:

""Reimer, Fred""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I do not agree, although I believe my own co-worker does.  Where do you
> think attacks on the Internet are launched from?  Yes, there may be some
> looser of a person (script kiddie) launching an attack from their home
> network, but I'd guess that a fair amount of attacks are launched from
> inside corporate networks (or universities).

especially universities and other educational intisutions - don't forget
your tech schools :->

> With that said, it is obvious that the first and most important fix be on
> the outside, Internet accessible, IOS devices.  However, I do not believe
> that internal devices are immune.  They will be until easy-to-use exploit
> tools become available (how many organizations have competent black-hats
> inside their network that will be capable of determining the magic packets
> on their own?), but I wouldn't be willing to bet on that timeframe.
>
> It sounds to me, from my reading of the advisory, that it's a little more
> complicated than "simply increasing the input buffer."  With a default of
75
> on some routers, it wouldn't take that much traffic to completely block
ALL
> interfaces on a device so that you couldn't even get to it to increase the
> buffers, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
>
> In all likelihood an attack would spew out the appropriate number of
packets
> to all router interfaces in your entire network, that's what I would do if
> were launching an attack, a task likely accomplishable in a small number
of
> seconds.  Because of this, you may not even be able to determine where the
> attack was coming from, and your entire network would be down until you
> manually reset each IOS device, even at remote sites, which may take quite
> while to do.  As soon as you reset the device, its interfaces would be
> blocked again.  So, your only recourse would be to unplug the device from
> the network entirely, upgrade the IOS, and then put it back in the
network.

it occurs to me that an attack of this nature requires the patience to seek
out and record the ips of all router interfaces. the ethernet side is
usually not to difficult. most folks use the same ip host number on all of
their routers, all of their subnets. usually 1, 100, 101 or 254. Discovering
WAN interface addressing would be more difficult, but traceroute has its
purpose ;-> Which leads to the advice that a well constructed access-list
might also include methods for suppressing reporting of this information.

> Actually, it may not be as bad as that.  Wherever the attack is
originating
> from wouldn't be able to get past their immediate default router once it
was
> blocked.  So, a successful system-wide attack would have to start at the
> edges of the network, disabling them and then moving towards the attacker.
> Still doable in a short amount of time, but some planning would be
required.
> It would also mean that you would need to start rebooting / upgrading at
> your network edge before you tackle the core (assuming the attacker was at
> the core) because as soon as you opened up the core then the attacker
would
> be able to disable the network again.  This could be a way of finding the
> attacker.

this does not address the mobile user or the "trusted consultant" both of
which many enterprises have many.

> Unless it is designed as a DDoS.  Then you are screwed.
>
> In order to defend against an attack you need to imagine how you would
> devise one.  I'd be willing to bet that I could disable your whole entire
> network if I were given access inside somehow (VPN, dial-up, etc), and I
had
> access to the magic packets.

don't forget your wireless, particularly those rogue access points.

> Will this doomsday scenario materialize quickly?  I don't believe so.
> However, since I build and support networks in hospitals not doing
anything
> is not an option.  Keep in mind that most hospitals have a hard time
> scheduling time for maintenance.  It will likely take a few months to get
> all devices upgraded.  (Scheduling at night is sometimes not better than
in
> the morning, as after dark and after bars close is usually not a good time
> to have the lab interface, or MRI devices, off-line.  Shift change is also
> usually not a good option, nor is the time that doctors make their
rounds).

funny you should mention this. we were doing a wireless project at a large
hospital recently. our work hours were 3:00 a.m. through 7:00 a.m. bummer.