alaerte Vidali wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> The addresses are contiguous.
>
> Suppose a network with many ABRs, one in each city. Any big
> city represents small cities. Could you use an area for each
> ABR? (I am wondering if there is no limit in the number of
> areas. I bet not).

Yes, you should use an area for each ABR. Well two areas per ABR, actually.
As you probably know, OSPF networks have a two-layer hierarchy: the backbone
and the attached areas. The topology is a logical star of areas. Think of a
daisy with a center circle and petals surrounding it. Each ABR connects to
Area 0 (the backbone) and at least one other area. (An ABR could connect to
a couple other areas too, if that fits your needs. But an area shouldn't
span 2 ABRs, which I think was what you were suggesting.)

Areas are supposed to be contiguous (all in one connected piece). If links
fail and render areas other than area 0 discontiguous, OSPF can handle this,
but it's not how you are supposed to design it.

Over the years, I have collected the following design recommendations which
may be a bit old, and of course, the real answer is "it depends on router
CPU and RAM, what else the router is doing, how stable routers and networks
are, topological requirements, performance requirements, etc."

* An area should contain no more than about 50 to 100 routers.
* An OSPF autonomous system should contain no more than about 100 areas.
* A router should be in at most about 3 areas.
* A router should have fewer than about 60 adjacent neighbors.

You could put the ABR in each large city and have each area represent a big
city and the small, neighboring cities. Then your backbone could be the WAN
between cities.

A lot of experts recommend keeping the backbone small, fast, easy to manage,
reliable, etc. however. And a large inter-city WAN might not meet those
needs. So instead, make the backbone a set of routers at a central site
connected via Gig Ethernet.

Another alternative is just to have one area, Area 0. Are you sure you need
multiple areas?

> What about put toghether two cities and form a bigger area with
> two ABRs?

Why? There's no reason to do this, is there?

Here's a paper by Peter Welcher that might help:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/welcher/papers/ospf1.htm

Also check Cisco's OSPF design guide, although the current versions has a
tendency to say what you can do rather than what you should do and refuses
to give any definte recommendations, saying instead things like, "For this
reason, it's difficult to specify a maximum number of routers per area.
Consult your local sales or system engineer for specific network design
help." :-)

Also check papers and books by Howard Berkowitz. In addition to 2 OSPF
papers at CertificationZone, he also has a paper on scaling routing protocols.

Priscilla