""Howard C. Berkowitz""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> What's the medium cost between the two cities?  Can you use demand
> circuits as a backup? Can you live with one more PVC and trust the
> physical connection?  Is QoS-unpredictable cable or DSL available?

Funny you should ask this, Howard. I've been struggling for several weeks
how to pose the question. Have we, the engineering / technical sales
community oversold the idea of dedicated bandwidth and QoS?

Take, for example, wireless.

Wireless is essentially a step backwards. For years we have been convincing
customers to get rid of their hubs and move into a switched domain, with
dedicated bandwidth for every user. This is often done in the name of
productivity. Fewer interruptions of data streams, meaning work completed
faster.Now all the wireless vendors ( Cisco included ) are producing studies
showing how wireless is increasing productivity to the tune of an hour a
day. On a shared contention medium. Cisco will shortly release their
wireless telephone as part of their AVVID suite of products, competing with
the SpectraLink product that has been available for a couple of years.

All this gives one reason to re-evaluate what we have been told for the last
couple of years. a contention medium provides the means for greater
productivity?

You mention QoS in your response above. QoS is something being pushed as
necessary for voice, video, and other delay sensitive traffic. Cisco
wireless AP's offer one way quasi QoS. Wireless, however, remains a
contention medium, and will remain so until the FCC changes the rules. I'm
not sure they will be able to release sufficient radio spectrum to permit
all the bandwidth and services that wired can. But wireless is so damn
convenient!

I'm not suggesting that dedicated bandwidth to the desktop is a bad thing or
that there is not need for QoS. However, I'm wondering how all of us might
reconcile two seemingly opposed points of view regarding bandwidth and QoS -
recognizing that wireless, whatever it's limitations, is here to stay, and
will become and remain essential to any and all networks, enterprise or
small business, going forward.