>Howard makes good points. Let me offer another view, perhaps more
>mainline-business" oriented, vs. the very special requirements in
>medicine (which I do appreciate -- I'm alive, thank you,
>radiologist and surgeon).
>
>The increase in productivity due to wireless is believed to
>come--and I can't be more specific than "believed" since I don't
>know the quality of the supposed studies--from capturing value in
>otherwise wasted time, and/or from making qualitative
>improvements in the work environment, leading to more output from
>the extant inputs. Whether it is a good idea in the long run to
>capture the work that could be done when not at the desk (via
>802.11 systems) has not been assessed; we are gathering much
>empirical evidence, though ;-). Personally, the time away from
>the desk is most useful to me--I decompress, and I think.

Perhaps you have some perspective from your Air Force days on whether
having constant communications available is, in fact, a good thing.
My impression is that air traffic controllers, tactical controllers,
etc., have enforced rest breaks, unless emergency conditions require
otherwise.

Wireless -- or perhaps more correctly, ubiquitous communiation (a
term from Xerox PARC) -- may increase total production, but at what
error rate? Does it result in quicker burnout?

Working at home, I used to keep a laptop in the bedroom, but I only
do that now if I'm sick enough that I can't get downstairs to my
office. I do keep a notepad, colored pens, etc., in the bedroom.
Indeed, sometimes when I have creative/writers' block, it's very
helpful for me to switch modes -- write rather than type. I will even
do what I'll call Zen Design -- relax on the bed, thinking about a
design problem, and even drift off to sleep -- and I'll very
frequently wake up with a key insight.

> [...]
>a portable phone could make me go postal if I need to concentrate
>and can't.
>
>But, as Howard said, this is one of many potential tools in the
>kit. In a sense, it may make our job harder, since we will need
>to be able to recognize the appropriate tool to solve the
>problem, which puts us squarely in the problem-recognition
>business. And we may need to persuade customers they don't need
>the gee-whizziest tool; the same amount of money could provide x,
>y, and z, or they could simply spend less money. Probably not an
>argument that will go over well in your present job, I know. But
>I have a customer who keeps coming back--because I keep finding
>him the most economical solution for the problems I've identified
>which he is choosing to solve this month vs. deferring. Every bit
>of business not deferred further comes back to me.
>
>But that's a long-term view again, and many businesses don't feel
>they can take a long view; the stock market may punish them too
>severely.
>
>Annlee
>
>Chuck Whose Road is Ever Shorter wrote:
>>  ""Howard C. Berkowitz""  wrote in message
>>  news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>

>>>What's the medium cost between the two cities?  Can you use demand
>>>circuits as a backup? Can you live with one more PVC and trust the
>>>physical connection?  Is QoS-unpredictable cable or DSL available?
>>>

>>  Funny you should ask this, Howard. I've been struggling for several weeks
>>  how to pose the question. Have we, the engineering / technical sales
>  > community oversold the idea of dedicated bandwidth and QoS?
>  >
>>  Take, for example, wireless.
>>
>>  Wireless is essentially a step backwards. For years we have been
convincing
>>  customers to get rid of their hubs and move into a switched domain, with
>>  dedicated bandwidth for every user. This is often done in the name of
>>  productivity. Fewer interruptions of data streams, meaning work completed
>>  faster.Now all the wireless vendors ( Cisco included ) are producing
>studies
>>  showing how wireless is increasing productivity to the tune of an hour a
>>  day. On a shared contention medium. Cisco will shortly release their
>>  wireless telephone as part of their AVVID suite of products, competing
with
>>  the SpectraLink product that has been available for a couple of years.
>>
>>  All this gives one reason to re-evaluate what we have been told for the
>last
>>  couple of years. a contention medium provides the means for greater
>>  productivity?
>>
>>  You mention QoS in your response above. QoS is something being pushed as
>>  necessary for voice, video, and other delay sensitive traffic. Cisco
>>  wireless AP's offer one way quasi QoS. Wireless, however, remains a
>>  contention medium, and will remain so until the FCC changes the rules.
I'm
>>  not sure they will be able to release sufficient radio spectrum to permit
>>  all the bandwidth and services that wired can. But wireless is so damn
>>  convenient!
>>
>>  I'm not suggesting that dedicated bandwidth to the desktop is a bad thing
>or
>>  that there is not need for QoS. However, I'm wondering how all of us
might
>>  reconcile two seemingly opposed points of view regarding bandwidth and
QoS