""Zsombor Papp""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> "Chuck Whose Road is Ever Shorte wrote:
> > after viewing the presentation, you tell me - is
> > this not saying
> > that 5 megabits is more than adequate for voice, video, etc?
>
> I don't think that was the point of the presention. Regardless, I can tell
> you that 5Mbps is enough for voice. :) For video, it depends on the
quality.

30 frame per second video over ISDN requires 3 ISDN lines ( 6 B-channels )
for a total of 384K. I've spoken about video over WAN links on several
occasions with the video guy in my group. He tells me he likes to reserve
500K over T1's typically.

Howard, if your reading, I just looked over my unsent drafts of the question
regarding bandwidth, and the point I failed to raise in this posted thread
is that of global synchronization. One of the major benefits of such QoS
mechanisms as RED and WRED is that the phenomenon of global synch can be
controlled, meaning a more efficient use of bandwidth ( no periods of
congestion followed by periods of  low activity because of the TCP backoff
mechanisms )

Now supposing, even in a contention medium, I could fine tune my queueing
such that I no longer suffered from global synch. I set my voice queues and
my delay sensative queues such that sufficient badwidth was available, and I
used RED or WRED for the general queue. I'm wondering if there are studies
done, papers in the IETF working groups demonstrating that given proper
queueing mechanisms that less bandwidth is required or necessary?

Cisco does offer downstream only QoS on their wireless product line. Not
sure I understand the mechanism completely, but I have to believe it is
based on enough solid study such that given a reasonable design, there would
be less concern for voice in the mix. Recall that Cisco will soon be
releasing their own wireless IP phone, and  the whole point of it is to
provide untethered mobility throughout an enterprise.

> > I'm just asking - if people are more productive,
> > despite the obvious lack of bandwidth, and
> > despite the step back to a contention medium,
> > is there something to be said about the
> > perceived need for 100 megabits to the desktop?
>
> I agree with Fred, such a perception is probably misguided in most cases.
> Most people are very happy even with their 1.5Mbps DSL line. But all this
> depends on what you want to do. Full-screen DVD quality video won't work
> over DSL. Even online gaming could use more than 1.5Mbps. FWIW, I've heard
> that in Korea, there is a serious market for dedicated 100Mbps connections
> to the *home* due to wide-spread online gaming (I don't know if this is
> true, I find it a bit hard to believe).

can't comment much regarding the needs of on-line gaming, but the guy
teaching the wireless class two weeks ago said he was an avvid on line gamer
and that his DSL was plenty fine for what he did. He also said he had a
couple friends around his neighborhood who did on-line gaming via a sireless
AP that he set up for their use. Don't know the particular game, so I can
say as to whether it is the same one you play.

> Also consider that pure 10Mbps Ethernet interfaces are getting pretty
rare;
> most of the Ethernet interfaces are 10/100. So in a campus network, in
most
> cases, there is no real reason to not have 100Mbps to the desktop.

indeed. and with three teenage boys around the house, I am happy to sell
lots of these things in order to keep the refridgerator full. ;-> yes, Mr
Customer, you never can tell when your users will need this bandwidth, what
with internet radio, lots of databases out there on the web, and all the
e-mail attachments people need to read to get their work done. ;->