I agree with Larry. We support 6500 + devices and have had our far share of
connectivity issues. Last year we had a few NICs that generated lots of
errors when they were hard set to match the switch. We tried every
combination of negotiation and the only setting the eliminated the errors
was auto/auto on both the switch & PCs.

Cheers, Mike