I've been saving this one for a while also. Originally I was going to write
this off as another one of those questions. Then I got to wondering about
the genesis of it. Did a bit of research. Interesting.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/wan_
c/wcdfrely.htm#xtocid15531103
watch this word wrap...

the short answer to Mr. Ozbourne's question is yes it can be done. The
question itself indicates a bit of uncertainty. I know when I was
considering it, and poking around CCO, my thought was that tunnels are layer
three and frame relay is layer two and therefore no it can't be done.

But Cisco continues to be full of surprises. The IOS is very rich in
features that allow one to do a wide variety of things in any number of
ways. Sometimes I'm too dense to understand the reasons behind the
possibilities.....

So....

1) One may use Cisco routers as frame relay switches.
2) One may use Cisco routers as X.25 switches
3) One may tunnel frame relay and X.25 and SNA and any number of other
things over IP networks.

For example, if one were migrating an enterprise to an IP only backbone, but
one had an extensive embedded base of whatever, one would take advantage of
the rich Cisco feature set to make this possible. So I have a New York
office, a Los Angeles office, and Fargo office. I want a high speed core,
using DS3. Can't do X.25 over DS3, so I have to fake out my existing X.25
network by making my Cisco edge routers X.25 switches and tunnelingX.25
across the backbone. OK I understand the theory. Same for SNA. But for
frame-relay I'm scratching my head.

Network-----frame_relay----router------IP_Core_Network--------router-----fra
me-relay-----network

Possibly there might be some advantage to create such tunnels so that
routers are but one hop away from eachother? Possibly I am looking at this
the wrong way, and the issue is one of a large organization with a bunch of
Stratacom switches in various locations, and wanting to take advantage of  a
high speed core somehow? I get the feeling that this feature exists as a
means of helping transition from one structure to another. I just don't
understand the structures involved.

Chuck

P.S. Yes Dave, your configurations will work. They are almost identical to
configurations found in the link above.