Continuing our ongoing discussions of autonegotiation and the behavior of
newer switches I thought I'd forward the following link:

http://www.psiber.com/lm25ap01.htm

The introduction on that page does an excellent job of explaining some of
the problems we've been running into. I take issue with one statement,
though. They suggest that you use AUTO when possible, or hard-set each
end-device to the same commanded mode, whether 100/Full or 100/Half. I
contend that with many modern NICs, a commanded setting of 100/Full is the
worst possible setting and you should only use half duplex modes when
choosing manual settings. Many NICs will fall back to half duplex when they
detect a commanded mode link partner, and they usually don't give you any
indication that this has occurred!

Regards,
John