""John Neiberger""  wrote in message ...
> bulk of their traffic. When considering a move to VoIP or expanded
> video conferencing this can create some traffic shaping issues.

For VoIP, you want to consider a control/data plane that makes this
traffic forwarding optimal...the topology is of less concern, no?

> traffic shaping. In fact, traffic shaping might not be necessary;
> LLQ might be all that is necessary. I'll have to ponder that some
> more.

You'll probably want outbound queue and drop mechanisms on a
class-based model (e.g. CBLLQ with WRED).  Shaping and FR
Interworking seem to over-complicate what you are trying to do.

> Regardless, with a 2764-style VPN like the Qwest PRN we'd end up
> with a fully-meshed network where all nodes appear to be one-hop

Where did you read that L2VPN's (or L2TPv3 Pseudowires) don't do
full-mesh?

> on a per-PVC basis. Since we're still considering moving to IP
> Telephony and we're expanding our use of video conferencing this

You have a lot of options.  I recommend Sprint first, then Level-3,
then GX.  Unless you are already in bed with Qwest or AT&T, they
won't give you the time-of-day for support (and you are going to
need good support for an offering like this).  In particular, I
recommend Sprint's PW option (UTI on Cisco GSR), and Level-3's
(3)Packet MPLS-VPN option (Martini L2VPN on Laurel Networks).

GX has a lot of MPLS-VPN experience with both Cisco GSR and Juniper
(but their financials are up in the air and Juniper T-series is a
poor platform for low-latency because of the sequence error and
other problems - however, knowing GX engineers they probably already
worked around these).  As a fourth option, I would even look at
C&W over Qwest/others - even though they are leaving the US
market....because their PW offering (very similar to Sprint's) is
also top-notch.  Maybe something good will happen to GX and C&W?

Any other VPN offering sounds iffy to me....coming from my experience,
but you should seek other opinions and do a full analysis for
yourself.  I had never even heard of RFC 2764 before, and I've
never been impressed by the Passport/Accelar/etc.  And I'm definitely
not a Qwest fan (except maybe old school USWest FR, the !NTERPRISE
Networking Services group was probably some of the best carrier
services I have ever received in my life -- they were actually
proactive about customer outages and would call you within seconds
of your service going down).

> My feeling after spending a few days reading about this is that
> given a moderately large hub-and-spoke network, a L3 VPN might be
> of more benefit than a L2 VPN.

I'm curious as to how you came to this conclusion, what did you
read/hear?

-dre