Using multiple processes might provide a way to implement
policy at the link level.   Typically, when one thinks of policy,
one thinks of BGP.  But what if your policy requires the ability
to control what traffic can or can't go over a particular
link?  For example, consider two routers, that are interconnected
by a direct link and a N-hop L3 path.  Suppose traffic types
A and B should typically go over the direct link but, if the
direct link fails, traffic type A should be routed over the
N-hop L3 path and traffic type B should not be forwarded.

I don't believe there's a way to get this level of policy from
a single OSPF process or a single OSPF process coupled with BGP.

However, if you run multiple OSPF processes, say one for each
interesting traffic type, and if you use BGP to set a network's
next-hop to match the right OSPF RID, and for each link define
a sub-interface (or not) for each OSPF process, then I think the
above routing requirements might be supported.

MPLS might work here, but I'm not sure.

Suppose you have certain types
of traffic that