Yup, it is a traffic engineering (service specific routing)
problem.   MPLS TE might be one way to solve this.    I've
honestly not looked at what it would take to get MPLS to
run in this environment.    However, enabling MPLS on the
network would be a major undertaking so I've been looking at
what other options might be possible.

Zsomber has suggested using eBGP in order to enforce the policy
(thanks).  As the proposed network evolves, and direct links
are built to many of the other ring routers, the eBGP solution
would require running eBGP each link.  This doesn't seem like
the right path to take.

An approach with using 3 OSPF processes and corresponding
sub-interfaces leverages features we enable today.  Granted
we don't run 3 OSPF processes, but we do run one, so it may not
be as big a deployment and operation stretch to go this
route.

As I surfed the net looking for other options, I ran across
the concept of logical routers available in JUNOS (6.0?).  I
just glanced at the web site, and the multiple OSPF process
concept seems similar to Juniper's logical router concept.
I've attached the Juniper link for those interested.  Apologies
in advance for doing this on the cisco list...

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos60/feature-guide-60/html/fg-logical-routers.html