Just thought I would let you know, I managed to fix my problem. For some
unknown reason some Cisco devices require a rolled cable and others a
straight through cable.
As my devices are in a rack the octal cable cannot directly connect to the
devices themselves. I made the octal cables longer by connecting them to
flat satin rolled cables through RJ45-RJ45 connectors. These were then
plugged into the devices. As discussed I would  get the OPEN command and
nothing more. What I did was change the flat satin rolled cables from the
RJ45-RJ45 connector and used straight through cables instead. Worked like a
charm.
Why some required straight through cables from the RJ45-RJ45 connectors and
others required the rolled over cables from the RJ45-RJ45 connectors, who
knows but it worked which I am happy about.

Hope this helps in anyway

(Original question posted last week)

HI All

I was wondering if any of you guys have come across reverse telnet problems
with the 2511 access server?
Basically I have 8 devices connected and when I reverse telnet to them all
is OK, but on when I try and connect to a 2900 XL switch I get this :
Termserver#telnet 192.168.1.1 2006
Trying 192.168.1.1, 2006 ......Open

And thats it, nothing else. No command prompt or anything comes up on the
screen

I have configured telnet connections as exactly the same as all my other
devices, I have IOS 12.0(5.2).

Any ideas ??
Cheers
Wallis