From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 6:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: wireless security and VPN software? [7:73988]

For a large campus network that has a need for wireless access in
conference
rooms, cafeterias, etc., would it be overkill to require wireless
clients to
use VPN IPSec software to access the campus network? This is for a
customer
who is paranoid about security and understands the tradeoff of
ease-of-use
versus security.

There are othere downsides with requiring VPN software, of course,
including
the usual issues of incompatibility with some apps, the lack of support
for
protocols other than IP, and the lack of support for multicast
applications
(from what I understand). Also, we have to consider the scalability of
the
current VPN solution and whether it can support numerous transient
wireless
users, but we think it can. There are many advantages with IPSec too,
like
support for encryption that actually works...

What do you all think? Do any of you require your campus wireless users
use VPN software?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Priscilla
http://shop.groupstudy.com