For reasons of confidentiality I won't and can't name any names, but I am
aware of several hospitals that were affected pretty seriously.  Everyone
here knows that Cisco Call Manager runs on Windows, so imagine what happens
to your entire phone infrastructure if you are running VoIP.  Network grinds
to a halt and admitting can't access the applications to admit people in the
ER.  Lab orders don't go through, so meds can't be dispersed based on the
results of tests.  Everything goes back to a paper fall-back scheme until
the Windows administrators patch the systems like they should have done
weeks ago.

So no, don't assume that even large organizations have a handle on things.
Especially hospitals which are notoriously on the low end as far as
adequately staffing, at the right levels, their IT staff.

One thing I sincerely hope is changed in our lexicon is calling Windows
administrators "network administrators."  It makes me physically ill,
because those folks don't "administer" the "network," if anything they
actually do can be classified as competent administration.  They should be
called what they are "systems administrators," or, if you want to be more
specific, "Windows administrators."  I personally think they deserve a
classification of their own.

All I can say is that the Windows systems that our group has to use and is
responsible for were patched long ago, and did not exhibit any issues.

Fred Reimer - CCNA

Eclipsys Corporation, 200 Ashford Center North, Atlanta, GA 30338
Phone: 404-847-5177  Cell: 770-490-3071  Pager: 888-260-2050

NOTICE; This email contains confidential or proprietary information which
may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient(s).
If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected the email, please
notify the author by replying to this message. If you are not the named
recipient, you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print
or rely on this email, and should immediately delete it from your computer.