Evans, Timothy R (BearingPoint) wrote:

> I know of several organizations in the Washington / NoVa / MD
> area that were
> effected - the MD Motor Vehicle Administration was offline for
> quite some
> time, for example.
>

> Sadly - too many people, many who should know better, assumed
> that as long
> as the "edge" was secured than all was good.  Unfortunately it
> only takes
> one laptop (for ex) to break that theory :).

Makes me wonder about people's security policies. Bringing in a laptop that
isn't running software approved by IT shouldn't be allowed. This software
should include patched OSs, anti-virus, and personal firewall.

Of course, enforcing that is difficult.

Friday night I was walking by a local bank and noticed that the ligths were
still on. I had to chuckle when I looked inside and noticed IT guys hunched
over PCs at the tellers' stations. I'm pretty sure I know what they were
doing. And yes, IT guys are easy to recognize. You know who you are. :-)

Today I went to my favoriate local coffee shop. The public Internet acccess
PC was turned off with a sign that said, "Not in service due to virus. Bye,
bye Miss American Pie." Ah, the day the music died.

This blaster thing is yet another wake-up call. The big one is still coming.
We are lucky that so far it's been benign tricksters attacking our networks.
Sorry for the dire warning, but I truly predict a huge failure at some
point. Argh....

> Luckily - this was/is a very sloppy worm:
>       Noisy enough to easily tracedown
>       Poor propogation method
>       Limited vectors of attack
>       No destructive payload
> (don't get me wrong - having a backdoor is bad, but let's say
> it wiped data
> from hardrives 8 hours after infecting them, or performed some
> other
> non-randon act of data destruction)
> ...   and, to top it all off, its attempted DoS was to the wrong
> URL and
> was easily sidestepped, although some people caused local RST
> floods on
> their network by attempting to mitigate it incorrectly :)

It's not just Microsoft that has software bugs! Getting the wrong URL was an
amazingly stupid bug, but benign. A lot of the infamous worms of the past
spread unintentionally like wildfire because of software bugs.

Why is software so hard to get right? Well, I know why. But this has gotta
change....

Priscilla