From: Howard C. Berkowitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 5:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SAFE and the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch [7:74304]

Monty Python is always my inspiration in understanding network
architecture.  The number for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is not
two and not four, but three.

And so the SAFE Test Blueprint asks you to:
   "Identify four kinds of types of security threats"
   "Discuss in detail the four different options for providing secure
remote user connectivity."

Yet when I go through the SAFE documentation, I find:
     7 Axioms of types of targets (p. 5 of PDF)
     3 Types of Expected Threats (p. 10)
     3 separate validation services for remote user access (p. 30)
    12 elements of the taxonomy of network attacks (p. 56), some of
       which are actually host attacks.

No number that is four.

What is wrong with this picture?  Am I perhaps reading the African
rather the European SAFE model? Did some threat sink because it was
NOT a witch?

Am I on the wrong quest, or using Brave Sir Robin as my guide?

Is the SAFE model pining for the fjords?  Has it joined the choir
eternal of ex-models?