At 7:10 PM +0000 8/25/03, Reimer, Fred wrote:
>A structured threat is a threat from someone who has experience and
>knowledge as far as breaking into networks.  An unstructured threat is a
>threat by a script kiddie.  I guess they use structured because a
>knowledgeable black-hat would have a comprehensive plan on the attack,
>whereas an unstructured threat would just be looking for the latest
>Microsoft bug ;-)

It still seems a Cisco problem that CCO searches on "structured
threat" or "structured attack" return nothing, nor are they in the
SAFE white papers.

Interesting, a Google search on Cisco and "structured threat" did
bring up a few hits.  http://www.coact.com/spock/spmin.oct97.html
reveals a presentation by ISS Corporation on _their_ SAFE
Architecture.  The NSA director is quoted as defining structured vs.
unstructured at
http://www.kbeta.com/SecurityTips/Vulnerabilities/SpottingIntruders.htm

To me, this is a significant documentation failure by Cisco.  Not all
working professionals are going to take every course Cisco offers.

It's especially important that Cisco be clear about its terminology,
since I have encountered a number of concepts where SAFE or other
documents use terminology differently than one finds in the general
professional literature on security. Quite a number of cryptographic
terms seem to be thrown about without rigorous definitions.